Dedicated Shortcodes for Churches
Dedicated shortcodes are the single best option for high-message-throughput, reliable, non-carrier-filtered, emoji/multilingual-supported, two-way mass texting. And Clearstream is a vetted top application provider with the Short Code Registry.
What Are Dedicated Shortcodes?
A dedicated shortcode is a 5-digit number used solely by your organization for high-volume, reliable, non-carrier-filtered texting.
With Clearstream, your dedicated shortcode has two-way texting capabilities. Our Inbox lets your entire team manage text conversations with your people.
Dedicated shortcodes come with unlimited keywords, which can be as generic as you need. For example, use “connect” for first-time guests, “baptism” for baptism signups, and “prayer” for prayer requests.
Send a text to 50 or 50,000 people within seconds, and handle incoming replies to start one-on-one conversations with your people.
Why Many of the Largest Churches Trust Clearstream
- Our team – we’re a product-focused team that’s completely dedicated to building reliable and powerful communication software for the church. And we’ve been doing this for 11 years.
- Ultra high message throughput – we average around 300 messages per second when delivering your mass texts. For comparison, Twilio averages 100mps.
- High message deliverability – we’re connected to all carriers in the U.S. (minus a few tiny regional carriers). We even auto-reroute failed messages through a local phone number should a subscriber not receive your shortcode messages.
- Direct carrier connection with a Tier 1 aggregator – we have a direct Tier 1 aggregator carrier connection (we’re not built on an SMS API like Twilio). This results in higher throughput, faster troubleshooting, and more reliable message delivery.
A Few More Reasons…
- Beautiful texting app – our full-featured web-based texting software (plus native iOS/Android apps) gives you all the capabilities you’ll need to engage and communicate with your people and community via text message.
- Cost – there is no other SMS provider in the U.S. that offers more affordable dedicated shortcodes than Clearstream.
- Two-way shortcode SMS – with Clearstream, people can respond to the messages you send and your team can handle those conversations from within a powerful Inbox.
- Customer support – we consider support a part of our product. Our team is extremely knowledgeable and insanely fast through live chat, video calls, or pigeon post. Read our customer reviews or check out our Wall of Love.
- Powerful REST API – our web-based texting software (and iOS/Android app) is powerful enough for most churches. But should you need to build SMS capabilities on your end, we have a REST API for that.
- No contract – if you ever want to move your dedicated shortcode from Clearstream to another provider (we’ve yet to see this happen), we won’t slow you down.
What’s The Cost?
- Clearstream setup fee – $0. For comparison, Twilio charges an additional $500/mo to host a dedicated shortcode.
- Carrier setup fee – $1,250. This is a passthrough fee that’s charged by TMobile, Sprint, and our aggregator.
- Shortcode leasing fee – $500/mo (random number) or $1,000/mo (custom vanity number). This fee is charged by and paid directly to The Short Code Registry.
- Clearstream plan – pick a monthly plan that works for you. Dedicated Shortcodes will have unlimited Keywords. Upgrade or downgrade your plan at any time. And no contract.
- No additional carrier passthrough fees – many providers pass through carrier messaging fees, which average about $.0035 per message on top of your per message cost. Where this is often a hidden cost with other SMS providers, we include these fees in your monthly plan.
Once you complete the initial intake form, we’ll create a Short Code Registry account for your church.
We’ll invite you to your new Short Code Registry account, you’ll enter your billing information, and we’ll purchase your shortcode.
Clearstream files your Shortcode Program Brief (i.e. – lots of paperwork) with all wireless carriers in the U.S.
Wait for each carrier to approve your shortcode. Typically taking between 3-6 weeks, this is the longest step of the process.
Go live! Once all carriers have approved your shortcode, we’ll add your shortcode to your Clearstream account and you can begin using it immediately.
How We Stack Up
Considering whether to build your own SMS app on Twilio’s API or use a full platform like Clearstream? Download our comparison paper:
Clearstream continues to be an excellent partner for Churchome. We connect with more than 10,000 people up and down the West Coast on a monthly basis via text while maintaining an opt-out rate of less than 1%. Their team solicits feedback, implements our suggestions, and clearly communicates best practices that translate into our success.